John 14:6

...Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Are You Distracted?

I once heard a sermon about distraction. This Pastor talked about Luke 10:38-42, which recounts the time Jesus went to Martha & Mary's home to teach and to eat. I cannot take credit for the content, or the message here, but I wanted to share this awesome message about "distractions". I'm just giving you the 10.000-foot view of this message...

Luke 10:38-42
"Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.”
And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”

I've underlined the word distracted in the section of scripture, because that's where this teacher parked for about 30 minutes. Here, the word "distracted means "overly occupied and too busy". This got me thinking about being distracted in my daily walk. I had to ask myself these questions:

Is work distracting me from the things of God? (My Job)
Are money issues distracting me from the things of God?
Are "worldly things" distracting me from the things of God?

And the list goes on:

-Television
-The Internet
-Social Networking
-Socializing (In Person)
-Health Issues
-Marital Issues
-Possessions (Cars, boats, homes, gadgets)
-Other "gods" (Any person that you put higher than God)
...these are just a snapshot of what can be distractions to us.

Being distracted by these things takes our eyes off of The Lord. Not only do we run the risk of being idolatrous, but we may lose out on seeing the deliverance of The Lord when we are caught up in these things. Distractions allow Satan to gain a hand in your life. Your eyes will then be on the problem, rather than the deliverance by Jesus Christ. You may even miss the blessing from The Lord because you are so busy with these distractions.

So in the scripture above, Martha was the one distracted, while Mary had her eyes on The Lord. Mary received the blessing! What would each of these women remember about that day? Martha would remember being distracted by all the work, working so hard, and being mad at Mary. Mary would forever remember spending the day at the feet of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. She was NOT distracted. She kept her eyes on Jesus! She was the one blessed by God!

Hebrews 12:2
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

AMEN?

No comments: